Sunday, August 26, 2007

Rough Weekend

We went to the arboretum last night for a bbq with a bunch of friends. There are several geocaches on the nature trails, so after dinner the group decided to go hunt for one. I stayed behind to clean up. When they had stopped to look for the cache, someone looked over at Clara in her stroller and her face was covered with mosquitos, so they doused her in bug spray and headed back soon after.

She got one bite on her chin and three or four others on the sides of her face. Just like with fire ants, she really has a hard time with mosquito bites, so they were really bothering her today and will probably take a week or so to fade.

Then tonight we went to Market Street for ice cream and fountain. It was dark and Clara started running toward the fountain. I yelled to her to stop because I didn't think she saw the concrete steps. I threw down my stuff and started running towards her, but I couldn't make it in time. She was sprawled out on the steps and had hit her head. The fall looked much worse than it was. I was sure she was going to have a bloody mouth or something, but it was just a scrape on the forehead and a small scrape on the knee.

Add that to the mosquito bites though and you've got yourself a pretty sad looking little girl.

Clara's prayers at night usually include thanking God for Zoe, Dingle and Max. She's also gotten pretty good at sitting still for prayers in church. We tell her that we're saying a prayer and she clasps her hands. Well today, she does just that and then I hear her whispering "Whoa-ee, Dee dee, Whoa-ee, Dee dee. Amen." (For those that are wondering what these two things have to do with each other, Whoa-ee is Zoe and Dee dee is Dingle.) She still can't sit still for a long prayer in church, but if we whisper our own prayer in her ear she makes it a lot longer.

She's also started calling on her dogs when she's crying because she's either tired or in trouble. It's pretty funny. "Whoa-ee, Dee dee, Masi, Whoa-ee, Dee dee, Masi" over and over. And if she's in trouble and I'm the bad guy, she'll throw in a plea for her Daddy for good measure. If that doesn't make you feel bad, being the only one in the household that is incapable of saving your baby, then nothing will.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Sweetpea, you look so sad!

Kelsey, do you suppose she fell because she isn't so well-balanced now that she's missing her cute pigtails? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Kelsey,
I heard that if you take a cotton ball and put some rubbing alcohol on it, then kind of wipe the mosquitoe bites with them it takes the sting right out...Hope Clara feels better.
Mindy

Anonymous said...

I don't know who I feel for the most, you or Clara?

Kelsey said...

Hmmmm Grandma, could be. She'll have pigtails before we know it. And then I'll have to go and chop 'em off again because it's obvious the rest of her hair isn't going to grow in until junior high.

Thanks for the tip Mindy! Although I probably shouldn't try it on her chin. She scratched it so much last night that it was oozing today. She might not like me if I put it on that one.

Southern Yankee said...

Try diaper rash creme, seriously, I saw a mom say it on Cafemom, and it really works. I tried it on myself, no itch for a few hours at least.