You may notice the new addition to my blog. I used to loooove to read. I read all the time growing up. We were part of a Disney book of the month club for many years and also had the Sweet Pickles set which was awesome. I enjoyed Bernstein Bear books and had quite a few of them as well. We were never lacking in the book department. I love, love, LOVED it when the Scholastic book fair came to our school and I got to pick my books.
When I got a little older, I got into R.L. Stine and Christopher Pike. (That was before R.L. Stine wrote that lame Goosebumps series. Well, I think it's lame; I probably would've eaten it up if I'd been younger.) I liked most any young adult book with suspense and breezed right through them. When we would go to the mall in Odessa, my favorite store was the bookstore. We didn't have a bookstore in Pecos, so it was a pretty big deal to walk into a store filled with lots of shiny new books. Although I loved to read, I wholeheartedly rebelled in school when I was told to read a book for English class. Cliff Notes all the way, baby. I take that back; I did read (and enjoy) a couple of required readings. I do remember enjoying The Great Gatsby and Crime and Punishment. I don't recall Wuthering Heights being too terrible either, but I could be wrong.
I've had headaches for as long as I can remember and reading and headaches don't mix too well, so I've experienced looong periods of drought over the years when it comes to reading. The last book I read was in the spring of 2007. Before that.....I couldn't even tell you. I finally got on a reading kick back in August. I read 6 books in a month's time and it felt really good. I was actually browsing for grown up books in the library if you can believe it. I had never even ventured out of the children's corner prior to that. I stopped reading again while I was traveling in September, but am trying to get back into it.
Now that no one is forcing me, I enjoy going back and reading the classics. I also don't want to get into a rut where I only read one type of book, so I plan on branching out a bit. Maybe throw some history into the mix. Perhaps a book on childcare. Who knows. Any suggestions of a good read would be welcome at anytime.
Sunday, October 26, 2008
Shelfari
Posted by Kelsey at 10:14 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Where to start?!
How about one of my favorite American classics, East of Eden, by John Steinbeck. It's a book that grabbed me on page one, and kept me turning pages. Set in the Salinas Valley of California, it's a great "good" vs "evil" novel. It's a book about relationships - specifically father/son relationships, and brother/brother relationships. It has some strong echoes of the Cain and Abel story of the Bible.
I feel you on the reading. Headaches can sure put a stop to the enjoyment. I'm not sure if you have ever read it, but this summer I challenged Amy to read the same book (I lost). We read Anne of Green Gables. I never read it as a kid but it was a fun little book about an orphan girl. Just a thought!
You shouldn't have started this, Kelsey! I can't stop thinking about books, this morning.
Here are a couple newer ones that I enjoyed. The first one I wrote about in my blog awhile back. It's called The Memory Keeper's Daughter, by Kim Edwards. But if you want a "happily ever after" storiy, you won't like this one.
I'm not a sci-fi fan, really I'm NOT. And yet, I found The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger a really fascinating and fun book. It'll keep your mind busy trying to figure everything out.
Thanks for the Shelfari, I am alway looking for some good reads, I need to get back into reading. I still have not started the book I bought when you were here.
Linda, you should do the shelfari thing. I think you'd like it. You can add books that you want to read to your list so you don't forget about them (like I tend to do). I, in fact, have The Time Traveler's Wife, and just haven't read it yet. I'll be sure to add the other two to my list. And sorry to be a distraction :)
And hello Pam! Good to hear from you. I was actually thinking about reading some young girl books so I'm good and ready to recommend books for Clara when she's the right age. I never read any of the Anne of Green Gables series, so that's a good one. I also thought maybe I should check out the Little House series and American Girl.
I love reading as well... but I usually can't put a book down once I start reading and that doesn't so much work with a full-time job that requires I roll out of bed sometime before 7:30 in the morning. The book that has been the buzz around Abilene is called "Same Kind of Different As Me" I did get a chance to read it and it is very good and enlightening. Happy reading!
Post a Comment