Thursday, April 03, 2008

A Bad Night

Monday night, after I had everything loaded in the car and finally got in bed, Clara started tossing and turning. She was very restless and around 10:00, I found out why. She threw up a couple of times. It was clear though, no dinner to be found.

Wonderful. Just peachy. Her first stomach bug happens tonight of all nights. After she threw up, she seemed to be doing better and fell back asleep pretty quickly. I got lots of towels to cover the bed and me with because she wanted to lay on me most of the time. Several minutes after falling back to sleep though and she was tossing and turning again. She threw up again at 11:30. And 1:30.

Amazingly, there was not a drop on me, her, or the bed. I've got skills.

As of 1:30 am, I hadn't slept a wink. I was supposed to be up and out of the house at 5:00 to drive over an hour to get on a plane. With a sick child. I decided at this point to get on the computer and see about cancelling our flight. I also needed to email Linda to let her know what was going on.

If she was still sick, I couldn't risk getting in the car and her puking all over herself and her carseat. I would have to put all of the pukey stuff in our baggage to take with us. I couldn't just leave it in a car to cook for a week in the west Texas sun. And what if I were to get sick on the drive or the flight. Oh my goodness, just the thought of that made me sick and I couldn't in good conscience get a whole plane full of people sick. I had been feeling a little queasy and rumbly in the tummy during the night and thought I might be getting it, but I never did throw up.

Around 2:00, I called Southwest because I had no idea what my options were. I was on hold with them for several minutes while Clara slept in my arms. I have to give kudos to SWA on their customer service. The woman I talked to was sooo nice and friendly when I explained our situation. When you cancel a flight, you just have a credit. Anyone can use it and it can be from any airport, so at least we weren't out any money. I looked at flights for the next day if we were up for it, but I had found really good prices on our original tickets, so it would've cost us about $150 more to fly.

I fell asleep around 3:00 or 4:00 and we were up by 8:00. Clara never threw up again and was doing pretty well by the morning. She didn't eat much all day and we just hung out in our pajamas and took it easy before deciding what to do about the Albuquerque trip.

0 comments: