So I didn't know that being bilingual would be a plus when entering this new job called parenting. I am becoming fluent in Two-anese these days though.
Case in point. Several weeks ago, Clara was messing around in our bed and kept saying "a moat" over and over. It was obvious that she knew what she was saying, only we did not. She's said it a few more times since then and I finally figured it out yesterday. I told her, "Say nap." To which she replied, "Moat." Yes! Score one for Mommy. You don't know how long I've been wracking my brain on that one. I was going to post it on here to see if any of my loyal readers could figure it out.
Second lesson in Two-anese was yesterday and I was more on the ball this time. This week is "Meet the Princesses Week" here in our home. Clara has never been very interested in them, so she's never watched any of the princess movies. Recently though, she has pointed them out whenever she sees them and says "Pincesses!", so I figured it was time to get to know our princesses.
Monday was Cinderella and yesterday was Ariel. While watching The Little Mermaid, she kept saying, "Mommy, mee-nigh" and pointing to the tv. After thinking hard for a minute, I asked her to say mermaid, to which she replied "mee-nigh". Wow, I am good. It's kind of fun learning a new language. Fun and challenging. I've needed something to keep my brain from gettin' rusty.
She's learning who Mickey and the gang are, too. We've checked a couple of Mickey books out from the library and when she sees Goofy, she says "Doggy." She's a genius. I didn't know Goofy was a dog until I was a teenager probably. (I also didn't know that Scooby was a great dane.)
Wednesday, December 12, 2007
How to Speak Two-anese
Posted by Kelsey at 1:17 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
you are good! i didn't get either of those.
how exciting she's meeting the disney princesses. the other day a three-year-old from our church asked her mom, "momma, is baby cwara a princess?" yes, our claras are princesses!
I can't wait to hear Clara-speak. Her daddy used to speak Two-anese pretty well, but then ... that was about 32 years ago. Ask him if he still likes to eat "hackamores" at "astronauts"?
I was going to say "remote" for "a moat", or however you spelled it. And, for the second word, had not clue. But, I did get the first one wrong.
Michelle- That's too cute. I love the way little ones say Cwara. When Clara says it, it sometimes comes out as Dora.
Linda- Hmmmm. Maybe hamburgers at the restaurant? Hey, he still likes those 32 years later.
Tanya- Yeah, remote would've been the logical choice for "a moat" I will say. But, we don't have a tv in the bedroom, so I was pretty sure that wasn't it.
Kelsey, you ARE a good interpreter. I think that may have been Three-anese, actually, as I think back :-)
Post a Comment