Clara's recital was tonight. It was kind of a pain this year with Robert being such a busy guy that prefers not to do anything he doesn't feel like doing. Clara's class danced first though and he actually sat through her whole dance watching intently. For most of the rest of the recital, Chris or I was up walking around with him.
We weren't in a good position to get good pictures. She was behind this girl at the other end of the stage for both dances.
I was surprised to hear them playing lots of contemporary Christian music. It was playing before the recital started and between the dances and a couple of the classes even danced to some Christian songs that weren't overtly Christian sounding. Clara's class danced to the Christian song called "Hold Me".
Ironically, there were several dances that I felt were not appropriate for a children's dance recital, one of which was "Single Ladies" by Beyonce. I admit the song is catchy, I cracked up at the SNL parody of it, and when I hear it I find myself singing it. That said, I don't think 7 and 8 year olds have any business dancing to a song about being in a club, wearing tight jeans, with a guy, saying "Don't be mad when you see that he want it. If you liked it then you shoulda put a ring on it."
Call me a prude.
I mean really. There are plenty of wonderful, family friendly songs out there to choose from. That and a few of the dance moves in the older girls' hip hop dances left a bad taste in my mouth. I was pretty sure that this was going to be her last year of dance, but this kind of sealed the deal for me (for this studio at least). Even if she's not participating in the hip hop dances, I still feel like going to the studio is endorsing it and I want her to know what is and isn't appropriate for little girls.
2 comments:
If you are looking for a good studio for dance, look into Excelsior School of Dance. It is really awesome school and very Christian. I just can't say how much I love the atmosphere there!!
Clara looks adorable. Good for you for sticking to your principles. I honestly believe choices like these help our kids grow and mature spiritually without them even knowing it.
Post a Comment