And you thought Clara's birthday celebrations were over. Nope. We had one last item on the agenda for Saturday morning. As much fun as the ballet and the zoo are, there's just something about celebrating with your friends, so I couldn't let her birthday pass without a small party. And small it was.
We had only invited four friends and their siblings, so when Friday rolled around and we were down to two families, I debated whether or not to cancel it. In the end I decided to go ahead with it. It would have been a shame to have to cancel both of their parties this year.
Travis and Justin showed up and the kids were playing in the playroom while we waited for our neighbors to come. The party started at 10:00, so when it got to be 10:30 and they weren't there yet, I told Clara that we needed to go ahead and cut the cake. She was soooo upset and started crying saying she wanted all of her friends there. Bless her heart; I felt so bad for her. Just then, the doorbell rang and it was our neighbors! So she perked up a little.
Her party was nutcracker themed. I hung snowflakes from the ceiling and bright, shiny ornaments from the light fixture over the table. I made the cake and little meringues with sprinkles. I was going to do more sprinkly kinds of treats, but I'm glad I didn't since there were so few people there. Her guests got a nutcracker Christmas ornament to take home with them.
The cake was strawberry flavored. It was just a run of the mill mix and I snacked on pieces that I had to cut off when I was cutting him out and decorating him. I thought it tasted fine, but as I looked around at the kids, no one was eating the cake. No biggie; I wasn't offended or anything, it was just weird. Clara LOVES cake and even she was just picking at it. I guess I need to kick it up a notch next year and actually learn how to make a real cake. Ha!
Little brothers are such a pain.
This was the best photo out of about 10. I think it's the only one with Robert's face and fingers out of everyone's noses. That's not sad.
In the end, her little party was fine. She enjoyed herself and had fun with her friends. As hard as it is to see your child upset, I know these little disappointments are part of life and something she has to learn to deal with because unfortunately, she has many more ahead of her.
And this concludes our 5th birthday extravaganza.
1 comments:
The cake is wonderful, and I'm sure it tasted great, too. They were probably all too excited and eager to play to take the time to eat.
Post a Comment