Chris took off the rest of the week so we could go on a quick trip to San Antonio. Dan and Linda left on Tuesday morning and Chris helped some friends move most of the day on Tuesday. I made our travel arrangements that day. All we had done was ask someone to come over and feed the dogs. Nothing else had been done.
So all day Tuesday I was online looking at things to do, getting directions, times and prices, printing coupons, doing laundry and packing so that we could leave Wednesday morning. I decided to try Hotwire for the first time for booking our hotel. If you're not familiar with it, you put in the area you want to stay and the minimum number of stars you want. It brings up several options for you to choose from but all you have in front of you is the price. It doesn't give you the name of the hotel until you book the room. Yah, a little scary. However, this particular hotel had over 300 reviews and was given 4 out of 5 stars, so I wasn't too worried. Still, I felt wild and crazy as I hit the "I accept" button.
Wouldn't you know it, for $75 a night the hotel was absolutely perfect! We stayed in the Crockett Hotel which is a historic hotel right across the street from the Alamo and the mall. The room was a bit small, but was very clean and bright and they had a wonderful continental breakfast. They did charge $20 a night for guest parking, but it was valet and we probably would've spent some on parking if we went to the Riverwalk anyway.
We left home around 10:00 on Wednesday, making several stops along the way and then we rested when we got to the hotel. Or a least some of us did. Clara was giddy with excitement.
After naps we headed to Kiddie Park. It's an amusement park for little kids that's been around since 1925. All of the rides are old, though I'm not sure if they've all been there since the opening or not. The carousel was awesome; it was very rickety and some horses were missing a leg or tail. I loved it!
They also had boats, a ferris wheel, planes, cars, a school bus and a flying saucer/helicopter ride along with a couple of other rides.
I just love her flying faces in these next two photos. I was a bit surprised that she went on the flying saucer one by herself. The only amusement park ride she's been on was one at the rodeo last year with me. This ride went faster than the others and other than the carousel, it was the only one that adults were allowed on. She did great though! She was laughing and having a good 'ol time.
After Kiddie Park, we headed back to the hotel and then hit the Riverwalk for some Mexican food for dinner. We were joined by some ducks and pigeons and Clara didn't enjoy their presence in the least. She had her feet pulled up into her chair and was yelling at them to go away the whole time.
Wednesday, May 26, 2010
San Antonio- Day 1
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
That looks like a lot of fun! Glad you guys got away for a little break. Next time you go there Robert will want to fly an airplane too!
Post a Comment