Monday, October 22, 2007

Why Do I Bother?

I thought I'd be domestic today and make some pumpkin bread to go along with the temperature drop. I had everything mixed together except for the spices. I go to add the allspice and see that I only have whole allspice that I bought last year for apple cider.

So, being the idiot that I am, I thought, "I can just grind it up really well." I did just that but won't go into specifics on the mechanics of grinding up allspice without the use of a mortar and pestle. It's a tad bit embarrassing to say the least. Anyhow, I got it pretty darn finely ground. Or so I thought. I even put less than it asked for just in case it was too much.

It came out of the oven right as dinner was ready, so we had nice, hot pumpkin bread for dessert. I took a bite and had this weird sensation on my lips. It's really hard to describe but felt a bit like when you bite into a piece of black pepper and there's a spice explosion. (Those who are not super tasters like myself may not know of this phenomenon.) Chris says that doesn't happen to him and he makes fun of me because I'm of the opionion that I'm a supertaster. Seriously, I didn't make it up, google it. There I go again, completely off topic.

It was the second bite before I figured out what the problem was. Clara and Chris were happily eating theirs without incident. Chris finally got an explosive bite, but it was awhile before Clara did. When she did though she made a pretty awesome face and then spit it out.

So I wasted an hour of my time making nasty, unedible pumpkin bread. Why didn't I just leave out the allspice? No idea. It already had nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves, so I'm sure it would've been fine or at the very least, edible. Really and truly, I had absolutely no idea how potent allspice it. If you ever want a good dare to give someone, have them eat an allspice ball. Or a spoonful of cinnamon. Did you know it's impossible to eat a spoonful of cinnamon?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm. Sounds good :-)

Don't worry. We've all done things like that. Sometime you'll have to hear about the very first roast that I cooked for Dan. Makes your pumpkin bread sound wonderfully delicious!

Anonymous said...

I've been sitting here enjoying all of your new pictures, plus the stories on your blog. Train that little one well, and soon you can sit back and let her get supper on the table for you. Ha !

Love You...Nanny