Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Mourning the Loss of Girlishness

Maybe it's just me, but I don't want my not-yet-two year old wearing clothes that look like they were made for a 15 year old. I've scoured clothing stores looking for dresses for Clara for the fall and now that she's in a 2T, I'm so sad that she can no longer dress like a little girl. I guess only babies can wear sweet little dresses these days.

I had to return her beautiful black and white toile dress because the black bled the first time I washed it. I loved that dress and I haven't been able to find anything I like to replace it. I finally found a dress at Carter's today that was cute, but nothing like the toile dress. Sigh. And Carter's only makes their dressy dresses up to 24 months, so this will be the last season she can wear them.

I think some of the trendy stuff is fun and she has a few pieces, like her cool new boots, but when it comes to a church dress, I don't want trendy. And when it comes to play clothes, I don't like shorts and t-shirts. She only has one pair of shorts and only a couple of t-shirts. It's rare that she leaves the house in shorts. I love the little one pieces and capri sets. Becuase this is the last year she can wear one pieces, I think next summer she's going to be a sundress kinda girl unless shes' playing outside.

I just wish that femininity was something that lasted for longer than babyhood now. I hope Clara will want to wear dresses to school on occassion and want to wear bows in her hair (if she ever gets any). Oh well, I guess we shall see; she could be a tomboy and hate every minute she's in a dress. She will have to endure wearing a dress to church though whether she likes it or not.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

:-) I agree.