Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Damage

I survived my dental encouter this afternoon. The damage is not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Today they just did x-rays, an exam and a cleaning and came up with a game plan. I don't need a root canal after all. Woohoo! I'll go in twice. Once for a partial crown and two fillings and then again for two small fillings on the other side. One of them is a tooth that I have a filling that I got in the fifth grade that's starting to fall out.

After all that, I'll see about getting my wisdom teeth pulled. Two of them have very small cavities. Because of my apprehension and the fact that they have long roots that are very near the nerve, the dentist will probably refer me to an oral surgeon. I'm ok with that; I'd rather not remember anything at all about that experience. The hygenist was saying we want to get this other work done first because people typically don't return to the dentist until one year after having wisdom teeth pulled. Not necessarily because it hurts, just because they'd rather not have someone messing around in their mouth for awhile after. So....I'm betting on five years for me :)

This dentist's office was so nice. Nicely decorated, high tech all the way. She would take an x-ray of a tooth and it would show up on the screen in front of me. She took pictures of all of my teeth, and they came up on the screen for me to see, also. I could see just how terrible some of them looked. I'm like, "Ooooh, that one doesn't look good." And then the one of my crown came up and it looked really pretty. So I said, "But hey, that one looks nice!" All of the staff was great and so understanding about the apprehension and non-judgemental about me waiting so long to come in. That's part of the reason I put it off, I hate being lectured about it. But no more; I'm setting a good example for Clara from now on and will be a regular at the dentist office.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I have had two wisdom teeth cut out and two pulled. It is not pleasant but it is definitely tolerable. Lucky you if you get to be put out. I remember it all. Good luck! I am sure you will do great. What a good mommy to overcome your own issues to set a good example for Clara.

The Cox Family said...

We made sure that the junk was out of our yard before they laid the sod. I think your HOA is worse than The Woodlands! Our neighbor's yard (s) look awful sometimes. One doesn't even really have any grass left. Just weeds! Ours looks bad sometimes too. The only notice we've gotten is that we can't leave our BBQ pit out front. Yeah, we're the redneck family that grills on the driveway and sits outside with beers! Oh well! It was fun! Awesome job at the dentist! Go to the oral surgeon. That's what I did and it wasn't too bad. I honestly don't remember much from the experience. (That's the good part!)

Anonymous said...

Hooray for you, Kelsey. We were talking about your need to see the dentist when you were here. I'm proud of you, you did it !

The last pictures of Clara were adorable. I loved the one where she is kissing herself in the mirror. I see she is still into kisses. I wish I could collect one right now ! I love you...Nanny