Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Brick Yard

I mentioned in a previous post that our front yard looks terrible. Well, we got yet another notice in the mail telling us to "weedeat and edge lawn" and that since we've received numerous notices and haven't complied, we now have 30 days until legal action is taken. Wonderful. Apparently, every time we've mowed and edged it wasn't to their liking. So, we've done the weed and feed and we've done the weed killer and it still isn't looking real great. I don't want to kill the whole yard trying to get rid of the weeds.

I figured I would go out this evening and dig up some of the clumps of crab grass. I think I got about 20 pulled up. It looks like it should really help the grass take over. Well, when pulling up a couple of them, I hit something hard. Chris came out and we started digging some and sure enough, this is what we pulled out.



When we got one pulled out, there was another right next to it. This all came out of a hole about 1 sq. foot! And we didn't even get it all. It started raining. There's also a huge chunk of mortar that we couldn't even find the edges of. Uh, maybe that's why our grass can't grow. This all was right underneath the sod. The stuff had to have been poking out of the ground as they were throwing the sod on.

Needless to say, we're a little ticked off at our builder, VANTAGE HOMES, for (1) putting down sod that was only 60% grass and now (2) not cleaning up their dang mess before putting our yard down. Anyone know if this is just typical of a new house? I mean, it would be a nightmare if we were to have a sprinkler system installed. Do they all do this or is VANTAGE HOMES just particularly lazy? I have a feeling that VANTAGE HOMES is just particularly lazy. I don't know what we're supposed to do. I don't think our grass will ever be really healthy with all of that right underneath it.

Singin' in the rain

Jason moved out today. He's moving back to Irving, which is where he's from. It's going to be weird not having him around. He's been here pretty much since we moved in. Clara's going to miss her J-Dog. He took my computer chair too. I guess it is technically his computer chair, but it's been in front of my computer for 9 months now. I was secretly hoping he'd forget it. I was just blogging on my knees until my wonderful husband went downstairs and found me another chair.

Today was a big day for me. I made the phone call that I'd been putting off for ages. I made a dental appointment for myself. Gulp. Tomorrow. My tooth started hurting this weekend, so I couldn't put it off any longer. Oh my gosh, I don't want to go. I know I'm gonna need so much work done. I asked if they do nitrous oxide, and they do, so I should be ok if they need to pull my wisdom teeth. I've had a root canal done without the laughing gas and it wasn't too bad, but just the thought of an extraction sends shivers up my spine. I always keep my eyes shut the entire time I'm in the chair, so I don't have to deal with the sights, but the sounds just drive me crazy. The sucking, the drilling, ahhhh!

Anyway, wish me luck. I'll be sure to update everyone with the damage.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd be calling VANTAGE HOMES and sending them photos. That's just unacceptable! It's worth a try, anyway.

Good luck, Kelsey, at the dentist. I have always had a fear of them, too; and I think I've spent at least 25% of my waking hours in the dentist chair! (Well, that MIGHT be a bit of an exageration.) Anyway, I'll say a special prayer for you for tomorrow.

Mommy said...

OH MY! It's not like VANTAGE HOMES was on your good list to start. I would definetly put a call into them. I really can't believe that.

We have an extra computer chair if you need one.

I hope things go well at the dentist. You could always take a Discman to drown out any noise.