Thursday, October 07, 2010

The Strand

We decided to make a short trip to Galveston during our un-vacation. I hopped on hotwire.com again and found a great deal on a hotel for one night on the seawall and we headed down Sunday morning.

We were a little early to check in at the hotel, so we decided to drive around for awhile and then walk along the Strand before hitting the beach. Bad idea. When Clara saw the ocean, there was no getting it out of her head. The next several hours were spent listening to her whine about wanting to go into the ocean. Note to self: beach first next time.




It is physically impossible for me to visit the Strand and not go into the caramel apple place, so we did just that. I got one rolled in pecans and when it was cut up, the core and some of the surrounding apple was all rotten looking. I really thought they should've given me a discount or something. It just didn't look appetizing at all and I spent a great deal of time picking off brown spots. Thankfully, it's October so I'll be making a batch of the delectable treat soon enough. Clara's white chocolate covered marshmallows with sprinkles most certainly hit the spot.


This was at lunch on the Strand. Robert was making faces after tasting a lemon. It was almost impossible to get this little guy to look at the camera the entire trip so I've got loads of pictures of his profile.

A lot of the shops had plaques on the wall depicting the water level after Ike hit. Most of them were around 5 ft. high. That's after you've stepped up from street level and then up another few steps to get inside the building. Crazy.

We went back to the hotel and were able to check in early and then finally hit the beach around 3:30. Stay tuned for beach pictures.

0 comments: