We should be in Albuquerque right now. We should have had to deal with a squirmy 10 month old on a plane Thursday evening. We should have witnessed hundreds of hot air balloons ascend into the air early Saturday morning. And we should be spending a week of quality time with the grandparents.
Instead, we are having an un-vacation here at home.
Our un-vacation became our plan B when two little people decided to go and get their heads all infected the week before our trip. Clara had a runny nose for a few days and then started coughing at night. Robert also had a slight runny nose, then added a slight cough that turned into a pretty bad cough and nasal congestion the Thursday before last.
I got them both into the doctor the next day, a full week before we were to leave on our trip figuring they'd for sure be well in a week's time. Clara had a sinus infection and Robert an ear one. Robert was prescribed an oral steroid and breathing treatments every 4 hours to prevent it from moving into his lungs since he's had bronchitis twice now. They were both on antibiotics and although they seemed to feel ok, their nasal congestion just wasn't going away and got really bad at night. So on Tuesday morning I got them into the doctor again. They both still had their original infections and Clara also had an ear infection and Robert had both ears infected.
Soooo, the doctor said no flying for us :( Even if they had turned a corner the next day, there would still be fluid in their ears making flying painful and I for one didn't want to be on an airplane with a 10 month old who was in excruciating pain. We talked about Chris and Clara going, but she wasn't any better the next day and I didn't feel right giving my blessing for her to get on the plane with sinus and ear pressure. We also talked about driving, but Chris wanted to do it in one day and I knew I couldn't handle that long of a drive with a baby who wasn't feeling well.
In the end, we decided it was best to just stay home and let them get well. It was such a hard decision and I felt terrible that we had to cancel our trip. I was so looking forward to it and Dan and Linda haven't seen the kids since May they were really disappointed too. These things happen though. Chris still took his vacation time as planned so we've been making the best of it and have been having a fun un-vacation these last few days.
Robert has been well these last few days now but Clara's infection seems to be lingering still. I don't think she's hearing well and her nose is still running some but the cough is gone.
1 comments:
We may be in the midst of Balloon Fiesta, but Albuquerque is a little less festive without you here! We love you guys and hope everyone is feeling wonderful very soon. See you in November.
Post a Comment