Thursday, July 23, 2009

This Week

This week started out great. I got to meet my cousin Rocky's wife Lindsey and their baby, Laney. I've known Lindsey only through our blogs and facebook, so it was nice to put a voice with a face. They came to church with us and then we had Papa's BBQ for lunch. Is it just me or is my face starting to get a little chubby?

Then it only got better when Chris got home at 6:30 am on Monday. He had taken an unexpected 10 day trip to Rio to fix some computer problems they were having down there. He found out on a Thursday that he was leaving on Friday. The hardest part was that Clara and I hadn't even been home for a week, so right as she was settling back in to her routine, it got disrupted again. She was a real booger while he was gone but she's back to her sweet self now that she's got her daddy back.

I had a hair appointment for that morning. I hadn't been feeling great, nor had I slept very well the night before. I had terrible heartburn all night and my stomach was hurting. As we were about to leave for my appointment I got that sick feeling just like I did in Pecos, so I had to lay down for a few minutes. I probably should have cancelled my appointment, but I've needed a haircut for sooooo long, so I went ahead. I was feeling a little shaky for a good portion the day and my stomach kept hurting the whole day. I realized the stomach ache was from the prenatal vitamins that I just resumed taking a couple of nights earlier, so I'm back to my Flintstone's. I thought since I wasn't having morning sickness anymore that I could maybe go back to the prenatals, but apparently not.

I love my haircut and I'll try to take my weekly picture tomorrow so you can see it. It's amazing the difference a few layers makes. It took a lot of the weight off and now my hair is softer and more manageable and doesn't get tangled as easily.

So anyway.... Clara had her first swim lesson right after my hair appointment. I was pleasantly surprised to see she really enjoyed herself. She's a bit scared of getting her face in the water and doesn't like to be splashed, but she had a smile on the whole time. There are up to four in a class, but hers only has one other boy, so I'm really getting my money's worth :) The class runs for two weeks, so we'll see how well she's doing at the end of next week. I'm thinking about putting her in for a second session after this one if she's still enjoying it. In these pictures, she's swimming back to the edge and "floating like a starfish".





I think it was on Monday that I started coughing a bit. I got a sore throat Sunday night and my nose was a little runny, but I just thought it was allergies. Then I coughed some on Tuesday, but still not enough to convince me I was sick. When I couldn't sleep Tuesday night because of all of the coughing, I could no longer deny that I had a cold. My stomach and chest were sore from all the coughing and hadn't slept well, so I decided to take some (midwife approved) medicine last night and only woke up once during the night. It was the first good night's sleep I've had in four or five days, so I've felt much better today.

Good thing, because Chris came home from work sick today. Oopsie. He was sitting with Clara and asked me if she felt hot. I took her temperature and sure enough it was 102. Double oopsie. She's not had any other symptoms though and is playing and not really acting sick, just a little tired, so maybe she won't get it too bad, or maybe it's not even the same thing. I didn't give her anything for the fever and already it's going down, so we shall see.

As for Jake, his surgery was successful and he's recovering now. Thank you so much for your prayers! He's still got a lot of recovery time ahead of him and will be homebound for several weeks after he's released from the hospital to reduce the risk of getting sick. Poor guy (and poor Amy) have already spent a couple of weeks on house arrest before the surgery for the same reason, so keep those prayers coming.

And thanks for the mattress advice. So many choices!! I think we're leaning towards a sleep number bed simply because Chris' idea of a comfortable bed is sleeping on a board. Seriously, those were his words. And me, not so much. I can sleep on just about anything and do fine, but I'm not sure sleeping on a board day in and day out is going to do it for me. Of course I got online and read reviews and there are those that absolutely love their sleep numbers and those that very passionately hate them. Several of the bad reviews were written a couple of years ago and apparently lots of people were opening theirs up and they were filled with mold! Ack! I think it was on older models and they've fixed the problem since then. At least I hope so.

2 comments:

Linda Judd said...

How nice you got to meet Lindsey! You are so blessed to have such a large, loving family, Kelsey.

I'm happy to hear that Chris is back home. Sorry, though, that he brought a S. American bug back!

This was a nice, newsy blog. I love the pictures . . . as always!

Pat and Laura Potter said...

Well, sounds like things were a bit hectic, but isn't life just like that?? Seems like it is for most of us! I still take Flintstones vitamins too. The kids think it is funny that mommy is taking their vitamins, but the prenatal vitamins are just too hard on my tummy. Maybe it runs in our family?
Oh...your face DOES NOT look chubby silly gal! And like I said before, we LOVE, LOVE our sleep number bed. We have had ZERO issues, so I hope it works out for ya'll just as well!! Good Luck-