Saturday, April 09, 2011

Day 2- Paris

We got up and showered and I was feeling a little "off". While I finished blow drying my hair, Chris went to the front desk to find a good breakfast spot since breakfast hours were over at the hotel by that time. They insisted that we eat there so Chris didn't argue. I started feeling worse while blow drying my hair and laid on the bed for a minute hoping it would pass.

We sat down in the small dining room and our trays were brought out to us. Since breakfast was over, we were the only ones in the room. I started feeling ill again and I couldn't even stomach the idea of eating or drinking anything. I was very grateful for the privacy we had when I suddenly started feeling hot and then dry heaved for about 5 minutes straight. There was nothing in my stomach, so I knew nothing was going to come up. When that was over, I felt just fine and actually enjoyed my breakfast. I'm guessing it was either jet lag or dehydration. Although I felt fine afterward, I was shaky and had to rest after walking up stairs or overexerting myself the rest of the day.

First on the agenda was a short subway ride to the Louvre. The Louvre is the largest museum in the world and as such, we only made it through maybe a third of it. And we were there for several hours. It was impressive to be sure.

I knew that the glass pyramid was at the Louvre, but I didn't know that it was the entrance to the museum.


Everywhere you turn, there is something exquisite to look at. I couldn't get over all of the amazing architecture we saw on our trip. It was all so beautiful and so big. Pictures just don't do it justice.


Me and Venus hanging out. As was expected, there was a large crowd of people taking pictures with her, so I opted for a picture from the side.


Here's a cute little mummy kitten.

And mummy row. Actually, I guess it was more like sarcophagus row.

And the Mona Lisa. There was an entire wall devoted to her and both of us were surprised at how small the painting actually is. The crowd in this room was huge and we didn't feel like fighting them all to get a closer look.


And then opposite the Mona Lisa is this humongous painting. The symmetry in this room is just all off.


We ate a late lunch at the cafe there and then went back to the hotel to rest for a bit. Another cafe for dinner and then we went back to the Arc de Triomphe to take the tour up to the top. It was 284 steps to the top. No elevator. We were tired. It was a spiral staircase and we had to step to the side to rest half way up. Everyone else was huffing and puffing and wondering why they thought this was a good idea as well, so I didn't feel too bad.

Once we got to the top, we had a lovely view of Paris at night.



It was late by this point and we were pooped, so we called it a night. This was the front of our hotel.

0 comments: