I've recently started thinking about several things pertaining to having a child in school. I have never really considered allowing Clara to ride the bus, but it turns out she is still adamant about riding it. She equates going to school with riding a bus it seems. I'm not against it, I just always assumed I'd drive her myself.
So, the bus stop is about 5 houses down the street. She would be picked up only half an hour before school starts and dropped off 15 minutes after the bell, so she wouldn't be spending a ridiculous amount of time on board. I think it would be a really great way to give her a little freedom and independence as well. Not only that, but I wouldn't have to wake Robert from his nap to go pick her up every day. I'm not seeing a negative here. Is there anything I'm failing to consider, because I really don't have a good reason not to let her try it, especially since it's something she wants to do so badly. Opinions, please.
11 comments:
I can totally understand your thoughts. I had them back when Amy was getting ready for school. Since Connie was my 3rd, I didn't think about it much. But I will say that she was adamant about riding the bus. She still is even after several months of school. She loves her time on the bus. I only work 4 days a week but she gets really irritated with me if I take her to school on my days off. She also gets pretty upset if there is any reason that I have to pick her up in the afternoons and she doesn't get to ride the bus.
I think that you are right. It is about their time to be independant. Even though she is headed off to school, she will still likely still feel a bit tied to the expectations of the class and teacher. But on the bus, it is about the kids and their friends.
I know it is a tough decision. I think that it is only the beginning of decisions that we are going to be forced to make about letting our babies grow into their own person. You and Chris are so great at letting her grow. I admire you guys.
Jayden has riden the bus since K and loves it. He hates it when we have to pick him up or he misses it. It's also a good chance to get to know other kids from school who live in the neighborhood.
I rode the bus to school many times during my school years, and some of the most fond memories I still have, were related to the bus rides. It's tough to let our little ones grow up and leave us behind, but it does happen to all the kiddos sooner or later.
Love Nanny
My mom was a school bus driver (not mine as one might think), so I rode the bus until I could buy a car. I have to say, I would have preferred to be taken by my mom. I guess we always want the opposite. I will say that riding the bus made the time my mom took me very special. If you have questions (such as are there assigned seats, do the younger children sit up front, how many children are assigned to her bus?), the bus barns are usually pretty cooperative although they may not have the answers until it gets closer to the actual school year. Good luck...and I hope Clara's bus experience is all she hopes it to be. Miss seeing you guys.
Lisa Quinn
Will Clara still be attending the same school she attends for pre-school?
Will the bus she would ride have only younger children, or mixed ages?
Both Chris and Tim attended private kindergartens (there were no public ones in Oregon when they were that age), and they both rode the bus their K-year.
I'd say that if she has her heart set on it, give it a try. She'll let you know if anything causes her to change her mind.
Thanks ladies! Sounds like she's not the only one. And you may be right Lisa; the grass is always greener on the other side. Ha! Thanks for the tips. I didn't know how you would go about finding out basic bus info; the district's website doesn't give any kind of faqs.
Linda, she'll be going to the public school just up the road. That's why I never really considered putting her on the bus. It's only a few blocks away. I would love to walk or ride bikes when the weather is nice, but there are no sidewalks or shoulders and the street is really busy so I can't exactly push a stroller through people's yards and up and down curbs.
I hadn't thought about the fact that she'd meet neighbor kids while on the bus. There aren't a whole lot of kids in our neighborhood, so that would be awesome if she hit it off with someone.
A couple of things to consider (in my experience). Is she going directly to and from school, or will there be a transfer situation such as a loading dock? Also, how old are the other children on the bus? If they are all pre-K thru First, I would have no problem with it. But we ran into issues with bullying and bad behavior from the "big" kids (3rd graders and up). She will get to ride the bus on field trips, so it's not like she will miss out on the experience.
On a seperate note...you should see the house! It's for sale! Want to buy a little yellow cottage in the woods?
After working in public education, I say not to bus....but that is just my opinion. I know she might have her heart set on it, but I would check into the other childrens ages. Also, make sure the bus driver is a responsible one...it's a law that they have to get out of the bus if the child has to walk across the street, etc...and remember that i can drive a bus, so they will let anyone lol not really!
I guess i think this way because just last week they arrested an 8th grade boy at my school for pushing a girl against the locker. I worry about the children in my life when they are away from people they can trust. I know you can't judge everyone and every school on one instance, but I don't even know if I would want my boys riding on a bus in Wink. I think i have issues lol.
Hmmmmm. You latecomers have given me much to ponder. I guess it wouldn't hurt to let her try and then reconsider if we run into problems. Clara's a pretty big tattle tale, so I don't think she'll be keeping problems to herself :) I just hate to assume the worst.
It's the same reason we'll be doing the public school thing as opposed to private or homeschool. I don't believe public schools are wonderful by any means, but that doesn't mean it's not possible for her to have a wonderful experience despite the problems.
And Michelle...... You're moving? Is it on the market yet? Are y'all moving out of the area or just want closer to town? Details please!
Hey,
I would let her try and see how it goes. Make sure you know if there are going to be older kids on the bus and what the bus driver's policy or rule is concerning big kids verses little kids. Mac had great times on the bus for the first two years of school. All the kinders sat in the front of the bus and the older kids sat in the middle and back seats. I made sure that I spoke with the bus driver a few times just so he could picture who Mac's Mom was. He kept a close eye on all the kids and made sure there were no problems. When we moved to Sandy and Mac was in 3rd grade, he had some major bullying problems. He wasn't necessarily the kid always getting bullied, but he ended up hurt a few times because he was "sticking up" for the kid that was getting picked on. The bus driver at that time, did not have a rule where the younger kids sat in front, etc. I spoke with her several times and the principal did too, but unfortunately it really didn't get us anywhere. Mac was so frustrated that we just decided no more bus and haven't tried it since. If Lilly asked to try it out, I would let her and Mac could ride with her too now because they are at the same school. We will probably try the bus out next year. Mac will be in 5th grade and Lilly in 1st. They go to a Charter School that is MUCH smaller than the one Mac use to attend, so I think the chances of having any problems are much more slim.
I am sure she will do great. It is really neat (and heart-breaking)to watch your baby do something that big and independent!!
Just keep "tabs" on the bus driver and speak up if you have any concerns!
Good Luck!
I also make sure the drivers (and teachers) know who I am. I want them to realize that we are parents that will be there making sure our kids are getting treated appropriately. Of course, the teachers are more aware, but we have had our share of meetings with bus drivers too, some impromtu and some not.
I won't say that there have been no problems on our buses over the last how ever many years. I will say that we have not had and bullying problems. Our district tries to assign the kids based on grades. It is still up to the drivers though.
I start the year off with token gifts to those that my kids will be interacting with throughout their day/year. I may be alone in my thinking here...but I think that those small things are what helps the adults know that we care about what they are doing too. And I have always thought that my kids are watched over. Is it because of the gifts? Who knows. But, I think it doesn't hurt either.
Post a Comment