I've somewhat neglected Clara's little milestones these past few months, so I thought a Clara post was in order. She's getting so big and learning so much lately. Here's just a few things she's been working on.
-- She started counting to 100 last month. She gets around 120 and starts to get confused, but I think she actually counted to 200 a couple of weeks ago. She doesn't yet recognize numbers over 20 though. Anytime I've pointed one out and asked her what it was, she wasn't able to tell me.
-- I've really been impressed by her understanding of basic math. There have been several instances when we've talked about something mathematical and she picked up on the concepts immediately. She can do basic addition and subtraction very quickly, but hasn't done any on paper, so she doesn't know her symbols yet. And Chris was talking about her and Robert's ages. He told her when she turned 5, Robert would be 1, and when she turned 6, Robert would be 2. At this point, Clara picked up on the pattern and took it all the way to "When I'm 10, Robert will be 6." I was shocked. She did it without thinking. I can't even do it without thinking about it. Oh, and Chris had her counting by even numbers the other day and she figured out the pattern in no time. If she indeed is a numbers kind of girl, she got that from her daddy. I, in no way, shape or form, contributed to a working understanding of numbers.
-- She still loves letters and asks how to spell things all the time. She also is into rhyming and pointing out words that start with the same letter. I haven't been able to get her to sound words out yet though. She resists when I try to have her sound things out. I'm in no hurry to teach her how to read so I don't push it. I know it'll just click one day.
-- She knows her address, and what city, state and country she lives in. We're working on her phone number.
-- She's learned several memory verses in her Sunday school class and has no problems at all rattling them off. They're also learning the books of the New Testament right now.
-- I've been amazed at her coloring abilities lately. It was only a few months ago that she was scribbling all over the page with a single color. Then she started trying to color right, but still way out of the lines. She started using different colors around this time also. She recently started staying in the lines better, but still didn't pay much attention to using appropriate colors. In fact, every single item on the page was a different color. Well, today she colored this picture. Overnight she became an awesome colorer. She colored the leaves green and the strawberry red and she colored all the sections of the curtain the same color and used a different color for the window frame. I was amazed when she showed me. (She gets her stellar coloring skills from me by the way.) I still love to color.
-- Clara is a wonderful big sister. It's great having a set of hands to distract and entertain Robert for a few minutes when he starts fussing. She always says that God gave us the best baby and that she loves her Baby Robert.
4 comments:
glad to see a Clara update. She must get the arts from the godfather :) Dingle is still doing great, and enjoying spending more time outside with the warmer weather.
That's awesome, Kelsey!
Clara is very ready for kindergarten! Will she be going to school next year?
Wow. She and her brother are very lucky to have such wonderfully involved and loving parents!
We need more parents like you guys! Keep up the good work!!
Glad to hear Dingle's enjoying the spring. So are Max and Zoe. Clara tells everyone she runs into that JDog is her friend and he took Dingle to live with him and he has two other dogs so now he has three dogs....... I have to gently remind her that this person has no idea who (or what) JDog is.
Momma b.--She won't be 5 until December so she's got another year 'til kindergarten. We've decided to put her in preschool 2 days a week starting in the fall just to give her something to do. She loves it when I pull out little worksheets for her. She calls it her schoolwork. So she's really excited to start real school.
And thanks for the encouraging words. I know I could do lots more to teach her, but I really don't want her to get burned out and she doesn't take instruction from me real well. We both get frustrated with each other.
I'm finding that by just following her cues with what she shows an interest in and what she's really enthusiastic about is all I have to do to keep her engaged. I know not to push her at all if she's not interested or else she completely tunes me out. I think she's going to thrive in a school setting with a teacher.
Kelsey, I love your approach! She's a smart little cookie and will learn everything when she is ready. You may not think you're doing that much, but the truth is there's no better teacher than Mama, doing everyday things and giving mucho attention to a little one. Just what you're doing!
Post a Comment