Sunday, September 02, 2007

Brunch is on Me

We didn't have Sunday school today because of the holiday, so we got out of church before lunchtime. We decided to go to Chris and Clara's Saturday breakfast buffet place with Micah and Lisa and Glenn and Becky.

I made the comment that I didn't know what Chris was talking about saying that Clara eats a ton a breakfast. She was hardly touching her food. Chris got up to get a made to order omelette and I soon found out why she was hardly touching her food. In fact, everyone in the restaraunt found out why she wasn't touching her food.

So I was able to catch the first spew in her bib. Go me! The second spew was pretty much filling up the entire bib and at this point I'm trying to balance it without spilling it onto her sailor dress. "That's got to be all of it" I think to myself.

I was wrong. This was apparently all of her breakfast and the entire sippy cup of water she had just drank. At this point I believe is when Lisa steps up to the plate. There is a frenzy to grab napkins during spew number 3. I'm still holding out hope that that is all there is and am therefore holding on to that bib for dear life. Had I realized there would be a 4th, 5th and possibly a 6th spew (I kinda lost track), I probably would've ditched the bib for a cup.

Unfortunately, when you're in the moment, you don't think very clearly. At least I don't. I was at a complete loss. This was my first public throw up incident and Chris was oblivious at the customize your omlette window. I think I did pretty good considering the shear volume. And nurse Lisa did awesome. She went above and beyond the call of duty and helped me get Clara all cleaned up and her dress off of her.

I am still amazed that I didn't even flinch when it happened. It was all over my hands, it stunk, but all I could think is to help her get through it and try to keep her clean. I didn't gag cleaning it up or anything. How is that? When Chris gets sick, I don't have quite the iron stomach, but Clara could've done it down my shirt and I think I still would've just been worried about her well-being.

So, my apologies to nurse Lisa, who shouldn't have to clean up bodily fluids on her day off, especially during the middle of her meal. To everyone else at the table (including the newly pregnant woman who really didn't need to witness that), I also apologize.

Our first reaction was, "oh no, our first stomach bug", but it doesn't look like that's the case. She was fine afterwards. She did throw up just a little at dinner, but she was chewing on her hand, so I think she gagged herself. She had been acting just a little out of sorts yesterday and today, but she was chewing on her hand like crazy at church, so I really thought that it was teething troubles. She may have had a little upset tummy and then threw up because of all the water she drank. Or maybe it was just a really mild bug. Who knows. All I know is that I haven't been cleaning up puke all day long, and really, isn't that all that matters?

5 comments:

Mommy said...

#1 So glad she's not been too sick today.
#2 You did AWESOME! I am quite sure I wouldn't have done as well.
#3 I sure hope I didn't give it to you guys. I was certain I was dealing with morning sickness the last few days, but have felt great today. It may have been a bug.
#4 GO NURSE LISA!!! Major props to her. The best part? She finished her plate and went back for more. What a girl!

Anonymous said...

Oh, poor YOU and poor Clara, too. Hope she's all better today, and that neither you nor Chris get sick!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I forgot to mention -- what a clever title for this blog! Ha!

Amy said...

WOW! What we mommies can do for our children. I would say that is one of the worst experiences to deal with in public. Sounds like you did great.

Anonymous said...

Oh, how many times I saw your Daddy loose his "cookies" in public too, Clara. He had allergies that we had no knowledge of, and he could eat, and throw it up before we knew what was happening. I hope you do not have any of his allergies. You take care now, and stay well. I love you....Nanny