Thursday, July 12, 2007

Story Time Fun

As you can see, I forgot to take a picture of the infamous mullet. I remembered after Chris put her to bed. Eventually I'll get a pic.

We went to story time at the library today. Clara is very comfortable there now and walks in like she owns the place. This morning she headed straight over to a grandma on the floor with her granddaughter and proceeded to pick up the baby doll lying next to her. I thought for sure a meltdown would ensue, but I had her give the baby a hug and then she kissed her and she handed her back to her mother. Sweet. Crisis averted.

After the stories, the librarian poured out blocks all over the floor for the kiddies to play with. Clara played for awhile, but then caught sight of something more interesting than blocks. She made her way all the way around the circle, stood behind the smallest kid there, who looked to be around a year old, and pointed to him and said "Baby", over and over. (Nevermind that her was just about her same size.) Then she bent over at the waist, stretched her arms wide and said "Ahhhhhhhhh". This is the air hug that she's developed that allows her to "hug" just about anything. Unsuspecting toddlers, squirrels, birds, frogs, spiders, doesn't matter how big or small. Anything can be air hugged. I'm sure the other mothers were wondering what exactly is wrong with my child.

Then Clara started getting a little ancy and I knew it was about time to leave. I was sitting behind her and had turned around for a split second when she started crying. When I turned back around, a mom was apologizing to me. I'm like, "for what?" And she said that her son had hit her. But he was several feet away from her, across the block pile. I was slightly confused, but then she said he had thrown a block at her. Sure enough, I look and the block had hit her right under her eye. She was NOT happy. It took awhile to calm her down. I don't know what these blocks are called, but they're made out of plastic and are covered with raised "spikes", so you build with them by pushing the pieces together in endless ways. They sorta work like velcro. I know that description makes no sense at all, even I can't picture what I'm describing.

Anyway, if you click on this next picture, you can kinda see where he got her. Just to the right of her nose there are 2 horizontal lines of little circular indentions. The redness had gone away by this time, but he must've hit her pretty hard to leave indentions.



Here's another one outside of the library. Notice her owies. The girl just cannot seem to stay on two feet. She now thinks that owie means knee.



And just one more little Clara story and I'll call it a night. I get out the umbrella today and she starts beating her chest saying "oo oo oo". I tell her "No, this is an um-bre-lla". She again says "oo oo oo". I say "No, not gorilla". She says "oo oo oo". A gorilla says "oo oo oo", I tell her. "An umbrella doesn't say anything". She says "oo oo oo". I say "Forget it". Who knew gorilla and umbrella sounded so similar?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Clara: Great Grandma would like to be there to kiss your knees. they look like they have some boo-boos on them. I am glad you are learning to like the library already, it's a great place to learn many things.

I love you, and surely wish I could see you again. I'd like one of your very special hugs and kisses. Nanny